Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Dorie's Peanuttiest Blondies

I cannot begin to express how devastated I was when I got home from the grocery store and discovered...I had forgotten the PEANUTS! I made these bars anyways, and they were great (like everything else I have tried from Dorie). But they would have been so much greater with the peanuts! The blondies are pretty sweet, and I can only imagine what a lovely contrast the salty peanuts would have been. And they were indeed chewy, just as Dorie said they would be. The one thing I will leave out next time, however (because I WILL be making these again), is the cinnamon. For some reason, the combination of peanut butter and cinnamon didn't work for me.

Peanuttiest Blondies, from Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan

- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (not natural)
- 5 Tbsp room temp butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 6 ounces semisweet, 1 cup minichips

350 degrees. Line a 9 inch square pan.

Whisk together dry ingredients. Mix butter and peanut butter until smooth, add sugars and mix 1-2 minutes. Add eggs, mixing well after each. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Stir in peanuts and chocolate. Spread into pan. Bake 40-50 minutes (mine were finished early). Thin knife should be clean.
Cool completely in pan, lift, cut, etc.

No comments: