Thursday, September 18, 2008

Blueberry Hand Pies

For some reason, herion addicts develop nasty sweet toothes (sweet teeth?!). For example, I had one patient that favored chocolate milk with hot cocoa mix and six (6!) sugar packets added to it. Their hospital rooms rapidly become piled high with the fallout from their snacking - candy wrappers, crumbs everywhere, stockpiles of the little jams that come on their mealtrays, etc etc.

Any-hoo, I had a patient like this the other day. Buried within her pile of junk food was one of these these. Um, yuck. But here I was at home a few days later, with a pile of blueberries that needed used up quickly, and I found myself thinking about those pies, and the glaze they put on the crust...

















So the filling and the crust were nothing special, but I want to jot down the glaze that I used, because it was exactly what I was hoping for:

- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk (I used evaporated)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla

Stir together well, then brush onto warm pies.

5 comments:

Lo said...

Oooh. I love little hand pies. And I think the vanilla in the glaze would make these mighty tasty! Great idea.

Cynthia said...

I like that the juicy berries are bursting to come out. These are going to be so good I can tell.

Peabody said...

That is sadly how we could always tell my friend was back on drugs. He would pour tons of sugar into whatever drink he was drinking.
The pies look great...I would just have to go with a different fruit. (allergic to blueberries)

Anonymous said...

You are so freakin' funny! But, a hand pie. . . hmmmm. . that DOES sound good! Did you see Amy's Rhubarb Hand Pies over at Angry Chicken? I've kinda been hankerin' a hand pie since then. Yum!
@Peabody. . . um, allergic to blueberries?! I can't stand it! How awful. . . maybe the rhubarb hand pies would fill the bill for you!

Brittany said...

"hand" me of those!!

ba-dump-bump, I'm a doofus.
But those do look really nommy.