Thursday, May 24, 2007
Marble Magnets for M!
My friend, M, has been asking me how to make these magnets so that she could try it with her daughter. So it finally occured to me to just do a post about it.(?!) It is super easy, and you don't need much in the way of supplies:
- glass marbles, the type usually found the in the floral arranging section of craft stores. They are slightly random in shape and size, and have a flattish side.
- 1/2" round magnets, also to be found in craft stores
- 1/2" round paper hole punch (craft store, in the scrapbooking section)
- silicone sealant, as seen in the following photo...I think I got this at Home Depot, but I imagine you could find something similar in any hardware store. It is found with caulk, etc, and other types of goop one would use in a bathtub? The tube says "100% silicone sealant" - MAKE SURE TO GET THE CLEAR KIND!!! (It may say "clear" or "transparent" on the tube somewhere.)
- magazines, catalogs, maps - anything with interesting pictures or designs that you would like showing through on your magnet.
Use the hole punch to chop out your pictures, then with a toothpick, or similar item, smear a very thin layer of the silicone sealant onto the magnet. Then place your picture on top and press it down. Do this with all of your pictures, and let them dry a little bit ( a few minutes is plenty). Then with your toothpick, put a small glob of sealant on top of your picture (about the size of a peppercorn) and press the flat side of the marble onto it. Let dry (about 24 hours?)